Public Health Awakened is a national network of public health professionals organizing for health, equity, and justice. We work with social justice movements on strategic and collective action to create a world in which everyone can thrive and to resist the threats faced by communities of color and low-income communities.
We are calling on public health nonprofits, government agencies, academics, and others to courageously step up and use our power — our evidence, expertise, voice, and resources — to protect and promote people’s lives and communities.
Public Health Awakened is a project of Human Impact Partners (HIP). The work of Public Health Awakened is guided by HIP staff and a steering committee composed of Public Health Awakened members.
We envision a future where:
- People live in healthy and equitable communities
- A spirit of activism and advocacy is normalized within public health
- Social justice organizations recognize public health as a partner in their movements
- Public health and equity advocates have a home from which to take action
- The narrative about what public health is and the value we bring has changes
In order to create this vision, we are:
- Creating a more explicit social justice identity for public health professionals
- Shifting the public debate by lifting up the collective voice of public health
- Building a community of social justice oriented public health professionals