Defend the Vote for Public Health!
We can take collective action as health workers to demand change, defend the right to vote, and ensure the safety and integrity of the upcoming election.
We agree that electoral politics is not the only path to liberation and health justice. But we know that access to voting is critical for health equity and that voting can shape the terrain upon which we can continue to push and make concrete shifts in the structural/social determinants of health.
Sign up to take action
Join our campaign to defend the vote for public health and make a commitment to:
- Be a poll worker
- Be an election monitor
- Advocate for your workplace to give employees paid time off on election day to do election related work
- Get out the vote on the issues that matter most to our collective health
We support these demands:
- Provide universal mail-in voting and maintain multiple options for voting, including in-person
- Expand curbside ballot drop boxes to limit contact and exposure
- Ensure safe and accessible in-person voting, even where there is a mail-in option. (Research shows in-person voting is more likely to be utilized by people of color, lower income people, people with disabilities, people with limited English proficiency, and people with limited residential mail access including folks on reservations.)
- Expand early voting
- Expand polling places (maximize distancing, minimize wait times = less exposure)
- Equip polling places and poll workers with COVID-19 safety protections
- Fully fund the USPS and reinstate removed mail sorting equipment
- Restore voting rights to all people including those currently or formerly incarcerated and those with felony convictions
Take action today to support these demands:
- Sign up with our campaign to Defend the Vote for Public Health by being a poll worker or election monitor
- Sign the Union of Concerned Scientists’ health expert letter for safe and expanded access to voting
- Sign the Daily Kos petition to fire US Postmaster Louis DeJoy, fully fund the USPS, and reinstate removed mail sorting equipment
- Take action locally to restore voting rights and to ensure everyone has the right to vote with these actions from the American Friends Service Committee